Thursday, July 31, 2008

The show must go on

Today I witnessed a very sad event. A beautiful Bay mare dropped dead after having a heart attack in the middle of a show. In a showing class, the rider is expected to show all the aspects of a horse, including a gallop. The horses all do this one by one and then line up afterwards. This mare galloped for about 20 meters and then went to line up with the others. Soon afterwards, it started looking a bit wobbly, the rider knew something was wrong and jumped off straight away. The horse kept neighing and neighing, obviously screaming for help and then collapsed. By this point everyone was looking at her, she was kicking in the air and her breathing was incredibly laboured. The vet came rushing over and they put a big white screen around her but failed to cover her completely because I saw them dragging her limp body into a trailer. 

At this stage I was bawling, I've never seen a horse die before, especially so dramatically. The rider was devastated and left the ring in the horse float. Everyone around me was shocked but as soon as she'd been taken away, the show kept going on as if nothing had happened! I couldn't believe it, here I was crying over this horse I didn't even know and no one even flinched! I can't believe how the horse society acts. The poor horse was obviously not fit enough for the gallop aspect or had not been warmed up enough. The whole way home The Mum was saying 'Poor rider, can you imagine bringing a horse to a show and then leaving without it? He could have been really hurt if he didn't get off in time!' Poor rider? What about the bloody horse who was obviously so scared that it was crying for help and everyone just sat there staring at it. I know there's not much you can do for a horse in this situation but a little bit of respect at least, I can't believe they went on with the show! Anyway, maybe I just needed a cry, maybe it was just too dramatic watching a horse die in agony, but I cried a lot today and seemed to be the only only one. Time for some chocolate.



Photo just before the event. This is Monarch, the horse we were showing in the foreground, the mare in the left background was the one who died. Poor sod.

6 comments:

Baino said...

Aww baby . .to the show fraternity and the competition people their horses are really just the tools of the trade, it's all about the competition not affection. But you're prolly a bit stressed too . . .big virtual hugs. You'd better call me soon now!

Anonymous said...

That is very sad news but be glad you cried because have a heart...

Anonymous said...

Show people dont care about their horses - as long as they're winning ribbons they're loved - the moment they stop, they're axed. I'm sure "poor rider" has the shits because its lost money on a dead horse and had to pay vet fees.....its awful and cut throat. There are a few good seeds amongst the bad....Never mind darls, not a lot you can do ---but give The Mummy a punch in the face for being so STOOPID!!! Chocolate....mmmm....I've had a kit kat today from the fridge and it was GOOOOOOOD!!! Rest assured, your horse is loving his life....I can see him as I type and he's dirty from the rain,mucky,wooly and eating....just how he likes it!

Excellent Adventures said...

Yeah, its not an industry I want to get into i'm afraid! I'm glad our guys are doing well, enjoying retirement!

Anonymous said...

oh god!! thats horrible. i would have cried too, clarence. let us all remember rome and the wonky pigeon.

Excellent Adventures said...

The wonky pigeon - oh the humanity!!!!

Widget